Saturday, September 15, 2012

9/15/12 chapter 7, question 2

Cause and effect is when something happens because something else happened. Well at least that is how I took it. It can be positive or negative but never the less they go hand and hand. Dr. Novello has a big situation in 1988, which was that more teens were smoking cigarette.  However this is not the source of the problem nor where the kids to blame. When I broke down what she was trying to state was that  kids smoking more was due to the ads that were being targeted towards them that cause the increase. So I came up is the cause being the ads that were being pushed towards teen and the effect was more kids smoking. However, I felt like that wasn't the only cause and effect that I saw. I also saw that another cause was US. Senator Dr. Novello attention was drawn to the problem therefore causing her to change thing. The effect was that she pushed for education and band cigarette ad companies in promoting to the youth. This is how I think she used cause and effect inductive reasoning.


Heisenberg.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heisenberg! Great post. I really think that you nailed it. The way you described cause and effect was good because you used plain English which made it easy to understand. I also think it was interesting and valuable how you realized that the advertising was not the only reason why Dr. Novello wanted to change policy considering Joe Camel ads. It was stated earlier in the article that Dr. Novello decided to choose AIDS, violence, alcohol, and cigarettes. Therefore, that shows that the cause was not solely the ads but where Dr. Novello’s focus was aimed at during her time as U.S. Surgeon General.

    ReplyDelete