Friday, September 14, 2012

9/14/12 Chapter 7, question 3

Hello Readers,
Today I want to focus on "Effect of Question Wording on Responses" a subject that is covered in this chapter. I want to first start by saying that this was really helpful to me because sometime during surveys I just answer what I think the pollsters' want. I have now come to realize thanks to this section that questions on surveys sometimes have that effect on people due to how they are worded. Pollsters' have one of three ways but I just want to focus on 2, which are Slanted question andPush poll. Lets start off by going into a slanted question, which is defined as "a question that is written to elicit a particular response"(Boss, 207). In other words the question has been written in such a way that it provokes you to respond a certain way. For example, if was question ask if gay marriage should be "prohibited"  will make some people mad or happy for the prohibition of gay marriage and would yield less responses. However, if instead of "prohibited" we used "a human right" then more people would be inclined to say yes it should be. The way we ask things really changes the way people react to it. The next way a question can be asked is by using the method called push poll, which states "a poll that starts by presenting the pollsters' views before asking a question" (Boss, 207). This literally mean an opinion or bias statement is stated before a question is asked. For example,  Do you believe there should be a law out lawing the use of fanny pack, or shouldn't there be? I obviously gave my opinion first before asking the question, since I dislike fanny packs. In this was pollsters' give their opinion before asking a question therefore, confusing the reader whether they should agree or not based on the pollsters' view. This was really helpful to me and I hope this was helpful if not give me suggestions of how this could have been better.


Heisenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment