Sunday, October 7, 2012

Chapter 3, Question 2 9/7/12

This week has been a long one because I had a fever from Tuesday night to Thursday night. I hate being sick so I was in a very sarcastic mood. As we have read in Chapter 3 Rhetorical Devices use psychological persuasion, rather then reason, to convince others to a accept a certain position. In order to persuade other there are tools used to do so and I used some of them this week. I am normally a sarcastic person but when I dont feel good I can take it over board. Sarcasm is defined as the use of ridicule, insults, taunting, and/ or caustic irony.
While I was in bed my roommate came into my room and asked me "lets go work out."  I was like "OH okay let me just JUMP out of bed and get ready quickly." His response was like "Okay see you in  a sec." I thought to myself he got the sarcasm since I was wrapped in my blankets with medicine on my bed stand. Obviously he did not because he came in 5 minutes later and was like "okay I am ready." I did not want to deal with him so I used another Rhetorical Device, which is called hyperbole.
Hyperbole is defined a rhetorical device that uses an exaggeration. I told him "I have MONO bro." He ran away and left me alone. These where situations this week where I used rhetorical devices.



Heisenberg

2 comments:

  1. That was quite entertaining to read. I thought that it was really funny that your friend did not understand nor pick up on your sarcasm when you were obviously sick. That has happened to me before where someone is oblivious to my sarcasm and ends up taking me very seriously. In my opinion that can be dangerous so I try not to use as much sarcasm fully knowing that it could hurt someone else's feelings. The use of Hyperbole is also interesting. Stating that you had mono exaggerated your fever and left him running away ultimately leaving you in peace to rest up. Thanks for sharing your experiences and hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heisenberg. I really liked your post (mostly because I am the same way with sarcasm and your examples were funny and gave a very clear picture too). In explaining your specific examples of how you used rhetorical devices you also were able to define them as well. I also feel like with more extreme emotions (angry, sick, really happy) sarcasm can appear more readily. It is easier to exaggerate as well. When something bad happens to a person they “had the WORST day of their life!” When that probably wasn’t the case. Extreme emotions in both cases can make hyperboles and sarcasm emerge more often. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete