Monday, October 29, 2012

Chapter 10 Question 1

I want to start off by saying this was probably one of the best chapters in the book. This is due to the realization that we must be critical thinkers at all time because marketers are trying to trick us. Not in a bad way, but marketers are trying to convince us to buy their product over a competitors by using special techniques. These techniques for the most part go unnoticed by people but if we stop and think about the situation we are in we can notice these techniques. These "techniques" are brand recognition, impulse buying, and guilt response. This past week I was watching Sunday night football and a Nike commercial came on and I immediately thought to myself, "I think I might need some new running shoes".  This all happened from seeing the Nike swoosh and in this way marketing affects it buying by implanting, metaphorically speaking, their name into the heads of customers. Therefore, this causes Nike to resonate in our brains which will make it more likely to buy their product. I think that brand recognition is the strongest tool a marketing company can use. The two other techniques just play along side brand recognition I believe.



Heisenberg.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you! I really liked this chapter in this textbook because there are so many ways marketers try to get us and we most of the time fall for all of their sneaky tricks, even though it is a cleaver marketing strategy. Its true that most of the techniques that are used by marketers always go unnoticed unless you really over analyze the situation. Nike is a good example because as soon as you see a Nike commercial it usually associated with a famous athlete or even just a person who is a fast runner, which motivates you to get those shoes because you also want to be a fast runner, even though the shoes and the rate of your running are nowhere close to being related.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This chapter was one of the best chapters hands down. It was also due to the fact that I am a business major, that this chapter was the most interesting. I learned a lot from this chapter because it expressed the important aspects of marketing. Marketing is diverse and the most sucessful companies are the ones with the best marketing tactics. I also feel as if the Nike commercials are so entertaining that they make me want to buy the product. Nike has been around for a long time now, and they are still one of the top sellers for athletic gear due to their marketing strategies. Also, the style of the swoosh is plain and simple, which can target any group of people.

    ReplyDelete