Thursday, August 30, 2012

First Blog 8/30/12 Question 2: I STOOD MY GROUND

Issue: Tell on a co-worker that consistently slacked off, left me with extra work, and left early. By the way he was my shift manager.

I hate being a tattle tale or even hearing someone else complain about others that slack off or cheat in the work place, cheat in school, or simply cheat in life. I have always been taught to mind your own business because they (cheaters or short cut takers) will get what they deserve. I have always lived with that state of mind, but while working for a high end hotel I came across someone that made me want to change my personal values. I studied (analyzed) his work habits and managing habits and came to the conclusion that he was skating by on my accomplishments and others success as well. This did not sit well with me, but of course having the belief that I did I wanted to step back and see what my options were. I compiled a list of reasons to tell on him and a list to not tell on him. The reason that I wanted to make a list is to make sure I was doing the right thing. On the list were things like: "I am new and could be fired", "I do not see how hard he works in the office", "He can fire me himself if he knew what I was planing", "I could become shift manager if he leaves", and there were many other reasons on that list. After much internal debate I decided to bring it up to our branch supervisor who had told us if we wanted to talk he would keep things confidential. I went up to our supervisor and not only told him what was going on but also came with evidence, since I knew he might ask how I knew these things. I gave him proof of the mess he did not clean up, told him to check his clock out card, and to check his messy work place. I knew I was risking a lot by bringing this up, but I had thought about how to approach the situation and was going to see it through. At the end things worked out for me but I really had to analyze and weight the pros and cons of my decision to tell on someone. This was probably one of the hardest things to do because once I set the plan in motion there was no going back. I had to really use all my critical thinking skills to pull of a successful argument of why he (shift manager) did not belong at the hotel.


-Heisenberg

3 comments:

  1. Hey Heisenberg,

    I really admire the courage and strength behind your decision. It sounds like you really had to think very hard before the whole situation. I am glad things worked out for you. I had a similar situation that happened to me in my work setting. I had a person that worked with me who just didn't comprehend that she had to also do work. I of course was too shy to say anything, but after reading this, I should have said something. I am not currently working their any longer, but at the time, I should have said something. Anyways, it sounds like you have a logical head on your shoulders, keep up with the critical thinking. Nice getting to know your situation.

    -Greek Guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heisenberg,

    I think you did a great way to figure out what you should do, which was to generate a list of pros and cons. I will do that in my future to assist me to make any major and minor decisions. I would probably do that same as you do, which is to report to the boss about the condition of your co-worker and/or supervisor. I am glad that you have the courage to do that anyway. I can see that what you have gained is not only do not have to do his left over stuff but also learned a great way to make decision. I hope that you are enjoying your work.

    Take care,
    Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your answer to this question was similar to mine, so I can relate to your situation. It is hard to go up against any authority, especially when you work so closely with that person and the consequences of their actions fall upon your shoulders. I really like your idea of a pro/con list because it helped you to put the outcomes into perspective and realize which road to take. Unfortunately, in my case, it meant walking away from my job. But, I am glad that everything worked out for you and that you were able to stand up for yourself in a healthy, well thought out way.

    ReplyDelete